Tailoring statement

Good day expert,
would like to check if i have a tailoring statement summarized on my ESD control program, do i need to provide some testing or evaluation or other documentation to support, since we already stated the for example, no device failure encounter, controls are in place, no customer complain, etc.

your response is highly appreciated.

thank you.

Rose,

Per ANSI/ESD S20.20, “This document, or portions thereof, may not apply to all ESD control programs. Any deviation from, or exclusion of, a requirement of this document is considered tailoring. Tailored requirements shall be summarized in the ESD control program plan and include the justification and technical rationale for the deviation or exclusion of the requirement from the plan.”

It would be hard to make a judgment as to whether the justification you mentioned would be sufficient without the specifics of what you are tailoring and the exact tailoring statement you intend to make.

Depending on your situation, you may not need a tailoring statement if you are trying to use compliance verification data for product qualification. Section 7.3 of ANSI/ESD S20.20 states. “…Organizations that can verify the use of ESD control items before adopting this standard to certify their ESD control program can use compliance verification records to meet product qualification requirements. These records shall cover a minimum of one year and reflect a timeframe immediately before using as product qualification records. These records shall reflect test results that meet the compliance verification test limits identified in Tables 2, 3, and 4 of this standard.
The use of compliance verification records for product qualification does not apply when the organization selects a footwear/flooring system as the personnel grounding method. When a flooring/footwear system is selected, it shall be qualified using the environmental test conditioning specified in the test methods identified in Table 2 or by the lowest RH at the facility as described above. Product qualification shall be completed for each footwear and flooring type combination used by the Organization.”