Products Qualification at RH 12% ± 3%

Hello All,

As per the ESD S20.20, any ESD control items that leave these facilities (for example, packaging) shall be qualified using environmental test requirements within the product qualification test methods identified in Tables 2, 3, and 4 of this standard (i: e-environment of 12% ± 3% relative humidity, 23 °C ± 3 °C).

My concern related to this is 12% ± 3% environment is difficult to achieve as the present condition is 50% ± 10%.

Please provide your guidance. Thanks in advance.

In an uncontrolled enviroment there needs to be data to indicate the ESD control items will continue to function. If the company cannot do the testing, ask the supplier if they could provide a test report that would have the testing done at 23 C and 12% Rh. Most companies will perform that test.
If not, there are test labs that can perform that test and provide a report.

Thanks a lot Sir for your prompt response.

Currently, we are qualifying through the supplier and requesting the COC report, which includes the Part#, Part des, reference ESD std, required spec, observed value, temperature/RH ( spec is 12% ± 3%, 23) at the time of testing and measuring equipment calibration details.

Can we consider lowest site humidity point for packaging items qualification?

If the packaging is staying onsite, such as reusable totes and carriers, then you can use the lowest RH level for qualificaiton. If the packaging leaves the facility and goes to another site or to a customer, you need to qualify the packaing at the 23C 12% requirement.

Sir,
Greetings of the day from India ,

When any ESD control material is shifted to another site / location and if the that location does not have the facility for a controlled Rh% down up to 12 +/- 3 can it not be re qualified at the lowest possible avg Rh% in that location OR is it mandatory to qualify it at Rh% 12 +/- 3 only ? Of course, the temperature is okay 23+/-3C .

Request your comments and advise. .

Thanks & Regards,

If ESD control items, which stay in a facility, are the redispositioned at another facility, they can be requalified at the lowest RH at the new facility. If the lowest RH of the new facility is the same where it was qualified, then that data could be used as evidence of qualification. The key is the the ESD control item must remain in the facility. Packaging, that leave the control of any facility shall be qualified to the 12% Rh requirement.

Sir,
Thank you for your quick response and clarifications.
My question and confusions is that ,
it is is correct that any ESD control items (including the packing -storage systems) that leaves one location and goes into another location needs to get re-qualified due to change in the environmental conditions there. But , my question is that , if that location does not have the provision to test those items at 12+/- 3 Rh% ( Temperature is okay ) and assuming that the lowest avg Rh% at he next location is around 25-30, then in that case can this be okay to qualify the relocated items in that location?

Here in India at least, most of the ESD control items suppliers are just Traders and thus supply the items with their data sheets only as a proof of their claim about the ESD parameters per the two Global standards. Reason being that , they neither have the facility or knowledge to do the detailed qualification test . So also the same situation with many end users even including the Government and public sectors .

Unfortunately, in India including Govt of India labs none of the NABL (under ILAC) certified labs have the facility or authorization to test the ESD controlled products per either of the two global standards but have facility and authorization for ESD immunity testing per IEC 61000-4-2.

Please let me have your advise and sorry to bother you again.

Thanks & Regards,

If you qualify an item at the lowest humidity that would be require a small tailoring statement. If your facility would certified to either ANSI/ESD S20.20 or IEC 61340-5-1 that would be ok for materials that are in those facilites. There must be records of the humidity levels at the facility for objective evidence to be able to prove that.
When shipping ESD sensitive items outside the facility, then the full qualificaiton at 12% RH needs to be done. There are companies that have the data sheets aviable and there are labs, maybe not in India that can perfore the tests.

Hello ESD Expert,

Can you please help me to find the companies or lab’s within India & internationally, that are capable of performing the qualification under the following environment condition?

Relative humidity (RH) of 12% ± 3% and temperature of 23 degrees ± 3 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Mr. SR,
Good evening from India .

As mentioned in my earlier msg , unfortunately, till date in India including Govt of India labs none of the NABL (under ILAC) certified labs have the facility or authorization to test the ESD controlled products per either of the two global standards but have only facility and authorization for ESD immunity testing per IEC 61000-4-2.

NABL has been inviting ( since mid 2022) the existing certified labs to come forward for the above but till date no one has applied for it ( confirmed by NABL only in their mail to me in August 2024).

Few ESD control professionals / Freelancers like me do both the PQ/CV test at clients site at the lowest possible and avg. Rh% maintained by the client.

Abroad , already you can see the following companies on ESDA site being certified by ESDA

Canmax Technologies Co., Ltd.
99 Shuangma Street
Suzhou Industrial Park, 215121
P.R.China

Electro-Tech Systems, Inc.
700 West Park Avenue
Perkasie, PA 18944

Also ; few more available are;
Mircostsat Lab / Cascade Metrology / Intertek/ Advanced Static Control ( Prostat) etc which you can find on google search.

Thank you

Thank you for your prompt response and valuable input.

John,
We want to bring all of our qualification testing in house and have a small climate controlled clean room setup. Can you make any recommendations on the physical setup of the room? What equipment is recommended and are there any reputable dehumidifier vendors in the market that may understand ESD requirements that could help walk us through our setup?
Thank you much,
Chris

If you are looking for a glove box type of testing, consider ETS as they make glove boxes for this type of testing. As far as a room, that does present a challange. I really don’t have any recommendations.

Thank you. That is perfect.