Packaging Plastic ESD requirements

Hi,

I have a question about the ESD plastic being used in our facility. One of our suppliers have a dissipative type of ESD material and the values of ESD test show a very high value above 10^11. Other trays were way below limit and this kind of created a discussion internally if the trays are even ESD compliant or not.

What is the best way to test these kind of trays?
I used the simple resistance meter with clips and checked the ESD values. Is that the correct way?
What type of devices are best suited for testing esd in applications like these.

Thanks

For small areas or uneven surfaces I would use a two point probe as described in ANSI/ESD STM 11.13. This is used for small areas or uneven areas. It does show differences in materials. The use of alligator clips can be used but there will be a very small surface area that the clips will come into contact with. This could lead to false negatives. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by simple resistance meter but for materials that are over 1x10*6 ohms the voltage should be set at 100 volts to make this measurement. If by simple resistance meter you are using a multimeter, then that could also result in a false negative result.

Hope that helps.

1 Like