Glove Compliance Verification using CAFE as per TR53

Hello everyone,
Would like to ask about the TR53 compliance verification testing for gloves.
Using the CAFE, do I need to test each finger and thumb?
I know the SP15.1 requires us to test each finger and thumb but how about TR53 requirement? Can I just measure 1 finger only?
Thank you in advance.

Hi Ravi,
Welcome to the ESDA forum.

TR53 is the place to go for the general testing procedures for compliance verification. TR53 does not set any requirements on frequency and what to test. The test requirements for both qualification and compliance verification are in ANSI/ESD S20.20.

That being said, there is no direct answer to your question. Qualification nor compliance verification is required for gloves in ANSI/ESD S20.20. There is some information in the appendix but no requirements.

Therefor, the user (you) can decide what parameters are important for your compliance verification program. There is no wrong answer.

The only advice that I will offer is to understand the material that the glove is made of. If after testing the glove material is consistent across the entire glove, maybe one measurement is enough. Or you could use the same type of reasoning as a worksurface. To qualify a worksurface takes many measurements but compliance verification only requires one.

Again, it is up to the user to decide. Please feel free to ask any other questions in this forum

John

Hi John,
Thank you very much for reply.
Appreciate the input.
Good to know the user has some allowances to decide it.
Regards.

Think of it this way.

When qualifying you want to inspect the integrity of the materials. Thus, check everything. Lets assume you have a nitrile glove. Which intrinsically is “ESD safe.” The idea for using such a glove is to bond the operator to whatever they are touching e.g. an assembly. Forgoing the many other benefits it offers.

Now on a day to basis. We usually have one part of the hand always involved in the grasping of items. The thumb :+1:t2:. Rarely is the thumb or pointer finger :point_right:t2: not in contact with the object of focus.

Testing either on your ESD tester should be fine.

As always observe the process involved it will be the clearest indicator.