ESD Turnstiles Uses for Body resistance Measurrement or Shoes

HI,

I am just wondering that since the Covid-19 , the turnstiles which was used to check the body resistance and wrist strap before entering the EPA has undergone transformation form a contact based (use of finger to press a button to start measurement to a contactless system when the person just steps on the turnstile ,the measurement starts but it only measure total body/show resistance and divides this by 2 for each shoe.
My question is , is this accepetable and how does this kind of turnstiles really work

Regards

Sukhbeer SIngh

1 Like

The trunstyles typicall work with a split plate. One foot is on one plate and the other foot on the second plate. The cirucit is then through the shoe, the person and through the oppisite shoe. If one of the shoes is over the limit, the system will fail. Both shoes must be under the limit to pass the test. As long as the resistance in both shoes/person are within the limits, this should be fine.
Yes this should be an accceptable way to do compliance verifications.

Hi Sukhbeer,
To add to what John has stated. I will say with our system (Botron Elite), the resistance path changes and will most likely increase the overall resistance of the person. For the Elite, if the instant test option is selected, the person would stand on the footplate, input their credentials, then the Elite would:
a.) Apply voltage on the right foot, and sense it on the left foot.
b.) Apply voltage on the left foot and sense it on the right foot.
This is basically adding the two resistances in series which could lead to a failure depending on the limits set in the system.
In a standard test, the test is completed using the finger as a contact point, isolating each foot for the test.

Instant Test (Touchless):
R1 = 260MΩ, R2 = 160MΩ → R1+R2 = Rtotal → 250MΩ+160MΩ = 410MΩ

Left/Right Foot Test (Touch Point):
R1 = 260MΩ, R2 = 160MΩ → Right Foot = 260MΩ, Left Foot = 160MΩ

In the above equations, if your upper limit is set to 300MΩ for fail, the standard Left/Right Foot testing would pass, but the instant (touchless test) would fail. As John stated, the test is acceptable, but understanding what is happening and if adjusting limits would be needed or acceptable is something each company needs to evaluate individually based on footwear and flooring combinations, and internal company requirements.

Not to over complicate… but just for clarity. There are a few key factors that are determined by the system type itself. I would always begin with understanding the system in use and does it meet your qualification requirements. Were any new qualification items required to be repeated with the update to the system? If you are unsure of the equipment’s qualification I would suggest contacting the manufacturer for additional details and support.