ESD S20.20 vs ISO17025

I have been advised by a supplier that the requirements of ESD S20.20 are covered in ISO 17025 and therefore would be redundant if already certified to ISO17025. I’m not very familiar with the 17025 and am hoping for a little education here.

Quzaisaeso,

ISO/IEC 17025 is the general requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories. It is the main standard used by testing and calibration laboratories. In most countries, ISO/IEC 17025 is the standard for which most labs must hold accreditation in order to be deemed technically competent.

ANSI/ESD S20.20 provides administrative and technical requirements for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an ESD control program. It applies to organizations that manufacture, process, assemble, install, package, label, service, test, inspect, transport, or otherwise handle electrical or electronic parts, assemblies, and equipment susceptible to damage by electrostatic discharge.

Although each standard contains similar elements like the use of a quality management system, the end goals are different. ISO/IEC 17025 is for test and calibration labs to show they can do their work properly. ANSI/ESD S20.20 is for organizations that need to reduce the risk of ESD damage to sensitive components. Hopefully this helps

Thanks for the reply, Andy.
I was getting the sense that the test lab is indicating that since they have the 17025, then they don’t need the S20.20 as it would be redundant to have both.
I appreciate your insight.
Enjoy your day.
CB

Quzaisaeso,

If the test lab is only testing or calibrating your test equipment then S20.20 is probably not necessary. However if they are testing any of your ESD sensitive product and you want them to ensure they are taking the appropriate precautions to reduce the risk to ESD, then I think it would be valid for you to ask them to get certified to S20.20.

2 Likes