ESD Evidence of Compliance

Dear Experts,
would like to ask if I can provide as evidence of compliance of the standard when it comes to tailoring the one that have presented white paper from ESDA?

thank you.

Rose,
You seem to be referring to a white paper that shows sample tailoring statements for compliance to ANSI/ESD S20.20. I am unfamiliar with the ESDA white paper you are referring to. Can you be more specific? Thanks

Dear Andy,

there is a white paper i do not recall also and cannot find on the list of all released white paper from ESDA. there is the tailoring made that less than 2ohms ground resistance limit is almost negligible to less than 10ohms. my question is do i need to create a tailoring documentation or anu evaluation to show that 2ohms and 10ohms were almost negligible when it comes to grounding for wrist strap connection.

thank you.

Rose,

I agree that the Personnel Ground Wrist Strap Connection (non-monitored) resistance of <10 ohms is about the same as <2 ohms, however I believe you would need a tailoring statement.

ANSI/ESD S20.20 states "This document, or portions thereof, may not apply to all ESD control programs. Any deviation from, or exclusion of, a requirement of this document is considered tailoring. Tailored requirements shall be summarized in the ESD control program plan and include the justification and technical rationale for the deviation or exclusion of the requirement from the plan. "

Since you are deviating from the <2 ohm requirement, I think you could use a tailoring statement pointing to the fact that the IEC61340-5-1 has the limit of up to 5x10^6 ohms and that the difference between 10 ohms and 2 ohms is not significant. That should be enough justification and technical rationale to satisfy the requirements.

Thank you very much Andy for the clarification.