Difference between ESD standards

Can I know some basic differences between the ESD standards EN1815 & ANSI/ESD S20.20 on ESD floor materials mainly. ?

Hello,

Unfortunately, I do not have access to EN1815 so I cannot say exactly what the differences are. I believe that EN1815 refers to laminate floors, all floors with a standard shoe to make the measurement. In ANSI/ESD S20.20 the equivalent test standard would be ANSI/ESD STM97.2 for Body Voltage Measurements. This is for flooring designed to work with footwear designed to control the body voltage. The specimen preparation is slightly different as the floor needs to be grounded. It can be any type of floor as long as it is mounted to a support surface per manufacturing instructions and the footwear is specified by the user.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your reply

But, please see if you can help me with some resistance range in
EN 1815 as it mainly speaks only on BVG to be under 2 kv from few floor products specs sheets I have come across while globally as per ANSI- ESD S.20.20 and IEC 61340-5-1 it is both resistance </= 1 x 10e9 ohms and BVG </= 100 volts.

Looking forward to your guidance

Regards

The difference between the two requirements are what the specification is intended for. While I don’t know EN1815, the less than 2 kv represents a level that a person cannot detect. This would be to eliminate shocks to people in any environment.

The limits in ANSI/ESD S20.20 are specifically for the control of ESD events within an Electrostatic Protected Area (EPA). The qualification is both resistance and body voltage generation. The reason for resistance is to ensure that a compliance verification program can be used to ensure the flooring/footwear system stays in compliance. EN 1815 limits are much to high to be used in an EPA. ANSI/ESD S20.20 and IEC 61340-5-1 scopes state that products that are 100 v Human Body Sensitive and higher can be handled safely in a compliant EPA. EN 1815 cannot be used to meet this specification.

1 Like

Thank you very much Sir for your immediate response and clarification

Regards